The Department of Communication offers a minor in Journalism. It is not open to department majors. It requires twenty-one hours to complete. The Journalism minor introduces students interesting in print or broadcast journalism to options available in this rapidly changing field. Students will take a variety of courses including basic reporting, computer-assisted reported or broadcast news reporting, newspaper editing and design or field production, communication law and ethics, and photojournalism or public affairs reporting.
Select from: COM 323 Newspaper Editing & Design, or COM 335 Filed Prod 3; COM 345 Photojournalism & Documentary Photography or COM 425 Advanced Reporting 3
- COM 101 Survey of Communication - 3 hrs.
- COM 201 Journalistic Writing - 3 hrs.
- COM 215 Basic Reporting - 3 hrs.
- COM 225 Visual Storytelling - 3 hrs.
- COM 323 Newspaper Editing and Design or COM 335 Field Production - 3 hrs.
- COM 360 Digital Journalism - 3 hrs.
- COM 330 Communication Law and Ethics - 3 hrs.
- COM 345 Photojournalism & Documentary Photography or COM 425 Public Affairs Reporting - 3 hrs.
Total Hours Required for Minor: 24