Organizational major is the study of how people communicate within an organizational context (e.g. business, government, nonprofit) with the purpose of improving satisfaction, performance and effectiveness. The course of study is focused on the nature of communication in the workplace. Students pursuing degrees in this area develop expertise in team communication, interpersonal communication, influence and leadership, intercultural communication, conflict management, organizational decision-making, collecting and analyzing information about the organizational environment, and the ways computer-mediated communication influences organizations.
Required Courses (18 hrs.)
- COM 201 Journalistic Writing - 3 hrs.
- COM 219 Public Relations - 3 hrs.
- COM 292 Organizational Communication - 3 hrs.
- COM 392 Case Studies in Organizational Communication - 3 hrs.
- COM 393 Small Group Communication - 3 hrs.
- COM 400 Communications Research - 3 hrs.
Organizational Communication Courses (Choose 9 hrs.)
- COM 303 Rhetorical Perspectives in Organizational Communication - 3 hrs.
- COM 387 Strategic Communication in Organizational Contexts - 3 hrs.
- COM 394 Communication and Conflict Management - 3 hrs.
- COM 395 Interviewing Communication: Process and Strategy - 3 hrs.
- COM 396 Communication and Organizational Change - 3 hrs.
- COM 397 Virtual Teams, Communication and Collaboration - 3 hrs.
- COM 399 Computer-Mediated Communication - 3 hrs.
- COM 416 Researching Communication and Organizational Culture - 3 hrs.
Communication Courses (Choose 3 hrs.)
- COM 305 The Persuasive Process - 3 hrs.
- COM 315 Intercultural Communication Theory - 3 hrs.
- COM 327 Public Relations Writing - 3 hrs.
- COM 430 Media Management - 3 hrs.
- COM 495 Communication Internship - 3 hrs.
Total Hours Required for Major: 39