Television Arts prepares students for careers in audio and video production- both field and studio- post-production, non-linear editing, programming, broadcast sales and management, along with the history and theory of the business of broadcasting from its inception to today’s practices. Students work in the John C. Hench Production Studio, a state-of-the-art television facility, with national award-winning faculty having both academic and professional experience.
Required Courses (18 hrs.)
- COM 201 Journalistic Writing – 3 hrs.
- COM 203 Introduction to Electronic Media - 3 hrs.
- COM 204 Audio Production - 3 hrs.
- COM 314 Introduction to Video: Studio Production - 3 hrs.
- COM 335 Introduction to Video: Field Production - 3 hrs.
- COM 400 Communications Research - 3 hrs.
Elective Courses (12 hrs.)
Students select 12 hours from the following list of electives. (No more than 3 hours of COM 495 may count toward the major):
- COM 292 Organizational Communication - 3 hrs.
- COM 330 Communication Law and Ethics - 3 hrs.
- COM 414 Advanced Studio Production - 3 hrs.
- COM 415 Global Media System - 3 hrs.
- COM 420 Media Sales - 3 hrs.
- COM 430 Media Management - 3 hrs.
- COM 435 Advanced Field Production - 3 hrs.
- COM 445 Nonlinear Post Production - 3 hrs.
- COM 450 Electronic Media Programming & Promotion - 3 hrs.
- COM 495 Communication Internship - 3 hrs.
Total Hours Required for Major: 39