English Department Awards include:
- Outstanding English Senior - Awarded each spring at LAS Honors Day Program to English senior selected by English faculty for outstanding scholarship and contribution to the department and discipline.
- Olive B. White Award - Awarded each spring to outstanding creative writing student selected by the creative writing faculty.
- Outstanding Senior in Literary Studies - English Department faculty choose a graduating senior (either December or May) with the strongest record of accomplishment in literary courses. Criteria include an excellent grade point average, strong letter of support from a faculty member, and a demonstration of superior skills in critical reading and literary discourse.
- Outstanding Senior in English Education - The English Department faculty choose the most outstanding December or May graduate in English Education. Faculty consider all English-Teaching majors who have completed their student teaching either prior to or during the Spring Semester. Criteria include an excellent record in both English and Teacher Education courses and a strong letter of support from faculty in the Department of Teacher Education.
- Senior Scholar - This award is made to a current junior. The criteria for selection: 1) student must be enrolled full time, 2) student must be majoring in English. Selection is based on faculty recommendation (50 points), campus and community activities (25 points) and overall GPA and GPA in English (25 points).
2013-2014 Award Winners
- Outstanding Senior in English - Emily Daniel
- Outstanding Senior in Literary Studies - Darlene Jacobs
- Outstanding Senior in English Education - Kara Salmon
- Senior Scholar (current junior) - Elizabeth Cachey