Garrett Cultural Center Dance Party Policy
A Garrett Cultural Center dance party is defined as any “dance, mixer, or social gathering” in which money is paid to the student organization in order to enter an event for pleasure or entertainment.
All advertisement must announce that dance parties are open to Bradley University students with a BU ID, students from other college/universities with valid ID card, Bradley University Alumni with a valid driver’s license, and pre-registered Non-Bradley University invited guests with a valid ID, and guest must show photo proof of 18 years or older.
A typed list in alphabetical order (last name first) of alumni and non-Bradley University students must be submitted to the Director 24-hrs to 48-hrs before the event.
All student organization’s pre-scheduled dance parties (including other events) must have a signed contract with the Garrett Cultural Center two weeks prior to the event, along with a copy of all advertisements promoting the dance parties with the notation “guest must show photo proof of 18 years or older”.
A Bradley University Administrator will have a presence at all parties. Sponsoring student organization must attend a mandatory 15 minute meeting before the event with the Bradley University Administrator, Campus Police and the party monitor.
Sponsoring student organization is responsible for the conduct of their members and guests during the event.
To register a dance party, signatures must be obtained from the student organization’s campus advisor, president, and two additional members indicating that there will be adequate coverage to manage the building for the event. Adequate coverage is vital and the Campus Police will be stationary at the dance party. It is the responsibility of the sponsoring student organization to perform the following tasks:
- Student organization must attend a 15 minute mandatory meeting with the Bradley University Administrator, Campus Police and party monitor before the event.
- Student organization must have a copy of the preregistered attached to their party sign in sheets.
- Student organization must check ID’s prior to allowing Bradley University students/Alums to enter the dance party. Students must show their BU ID. Campus Police will do the initial screening of the pre-registered guest list.
- Student organization must instruct students to PRINT their name, BU ID number on the sign-in sheet. Student organization must instruct Bradley University Alums to PRINT their name, driver’s license number and any former name used while attending Bradley University on the sign-in sheet. The sign-in sheet must be given to the Student Worker at the end of the party.
- Student organization is responsible for the monitoring of the party in the Garrett Cultural Center. There must be two (2) members working the front entrance at all times. There must be (1) member working the rear hallway and exit area at all times.
- Student organization must make sure that students are not allowed to take canes, sticks, or other potential weapons into the dance party. Violators will be escorted out of the dance party by the student organization hosting the dance party along with the Campus Police on duty.
- Student organization must prohibit students appearing intoxicated or otherwise under the influence of alcohol or drugs from entering the dance party. Student organizations must prohibit students from taking any beverage containers opened or closed inside the dance party. If there is a problem, talk with the Campus Police on duty.
- Student organization must stop allowing students to enter the dance party if the building appears to be at full capacity (250).
- Student organization must communicate with the Campus Police on duty in the event of an emergency, as well as complete an incident form and place it under the 2nd floor office door of the Garrett Cultural Center prior to leaving the building.
- Student organization must stop the DJ from playing music at 1:00 a.m. sharp! No DJ announcing of after hours parties. NO EXCEPTIONS!!
- Student organization must turn on the lights in the Garrett Cultural Center at 1:00 a.m. indicating to guests that the dance party is over.
- Student organization must make sure that all students clear the building as soon as the dance party ends.
- Student organization must clean the building to ensure that it is ready for the next event and clear the Garrett Cultural Center by 1:30 a.m. sharp so that the Campus Police on duty can secure the building.
- Student organization must pay a $20 per hour fee for each Campus Police on duty working the dance party. Payment must be delivered to the Campus Police Department, Monday morning following the dance party.
All advertisement must announce that dance parties are open to Bradley University students with a BU ID, students from other college/universities with valid ID card, Bradley University Alumni with a valid driver’s license, and pre-registered Non-Bradley University invited guests with a valid ID, and guest must show photo proof of 18 years or older. A copy of all advertisements must be turned in to the Office of Multicultural Student Services when the dance party is registered.
All student organization dance parties/events shall end no later than 1:00 a.m. The DJ must stop the music sharply at 1:00 a.m. and the Garrett Cultural Center must be cleared by 1:30 a.m.
An incident form will be given to the student organization when registering a dance party. The form must be placed under the 2nd floor office door at the Garrett Cultural Center prior to leaving the building whether an incident occurs or not. The Campus Police on duty will complete an incident form giving the staff their observation of the event as well.
Securing the Building
The Garrett Cultural Center is secured when it is returned to its original condition prior to its use. The building must be vacuumed and the trash must be taken out. The Campus Police on duty will let the student organization hosting the event into the utility room to retrieve cleaning items necessary to ensure that the room is ready for use again. Student organization will be assessed an $80.00 cleaning fee if Bradley University staff has to clean the building after your event. All damages to the building which require additional cleaning beyond that which is normal will be assessed a fee based on the damages (including the replacement of broken windows, furniture, fixtures, and PA system). FAILURE TO PAY THE FEE WILL RESULT IN THE DENIAL OF FUTURE RESERVATION REQUEST WHETHER SPONSOR OR CO SPONSOR OF AN EVENT.
No Tolerance Policy
The following inappropriate behavior is NOT allowed in the Garrett Cultural Center:
- Pushing/ Shoving
- Possession of firearms, canes, sticks, or other potential weapons
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Use of illegal drugs
- Minors attending parties
Students who chose to exhibit any of these behaviors will not be allowed to attend ANY events hosted at the Garrett Cultural Center for a minimum of one full year from the date of the violation. NO EXCEPTIONS!
A minimum of two police officers will be in attendance at each event. Campus Police will wand everyone entering a party. Effective the Fall Semester 2008 the Dance Party Sponsoring Organization will be responsible for paying $20 per hour for each Campus Police on duty working the event. Payment must be delivered to the Campus Police Department, Monday morning following the dance party.
At NO time should ANY doors allowing entry/exit be blocked or propped open with any object, as it will prevent easy escape in case of fire.
No material should be used to cover the glass on the two entry doors to the auditorium at any time. A section of light will remain on during the duration of the event. All windows must be closed and locked before leaving.
Cancellation of the Event
All cancellation of events shall happen at least three business days prior to the event commencing. When the building is reserved, it is not available for other potential users. Therefore, a $40.00 fine will be assessed to all student organizations who fail to cancel an event in writing within three days of the event. All fines must be paid prior to any future use of the building. A notice of all unpaid fines will be sent to the Director of the Student Center as well.
Failure to Comply
Student organizations who fail to comply with the Dance Party Guidelines will lose the privilege of using the Garrett Cultural Center for future events.
Garrett Cultrual Center Building Information
- Dance parties are open to Bradley University students with a BU ID, students from other college/universities with valid ID card, Bradley University Alumni with a valid driver’s license, and pre-registered Non-Bradley University invited guests with a valid ID.
- Dance parties, or events, are given by recognized registered student organizations. Registered student organizations in good standing will have priority in reserving rooms. (Only registered organizations are considered “recognized” and are permitted to use University facilities free of charge or at reduced rates.) Student Handbook Facilities Regulations. Multicultural Student Services reserves the right to verify recognized student organizations.
- Garrett Cultural Center Dance Party policy does not allow non-registered student organizations to give dance parties or events.
- Garrett Cultural Center Dance Party policy does not allow registered student organizations with a HOLD for unpaid fees to give dance parties.
- Registered/recognized student organizations are not to sponsor, co-sponsor or host dance parties or events on behalf of any unrecognized group. If an organization chooses to sponsor such an event that organization risks sanctions against it.
- In compliance with the nonsmoking policy of Bradley University. The sponsoring recognized student organization must assist Multicultural Student Services Staff with enforcement of this policy. Smoking and the consumption of alcohol is prohibited in all areas of the Garrett Cultural Center.
- A copy of all advertisements for the dance party must be turned in to the Office of Multicultural Student Services at the time of registration.
- Student organizations who fail to comply with the Garrett Cultural Center Dance Party policy will lose the privilege of using the Garrett Cultural Center for future events.