Click each poet's name and poem title to view that poem's text. Click the audio button following the poet's name to hear her or his recitation.
- Stuart Dybek - “Benediction”
- Dave Etter - "Undertow"
- Allison Funk - “Appearance at Dusk”
- Susan Hahn - “O Baby O”
- Edward Hirsch - “Ocean of Grass”
- Richard Jones - “Dislikes”
- Allison Joseph - “What the Elders Tell You”
- Brigit Pegeen Kelly - “Rose of Sharon”
- Mary Kinzie - “Moment, Stay”
- John Knoepfle - “Bath”
- Quraysh Ali Lansana - “Purgatory”
- Li-Young Lee - “I Ask My Mother to Sing”
- Laurence Lieberman - “Hard Hat Limbo”
- Haki Madhubuti - “The B Network”
- Lisel Mueller - “Another Version”
- G. E. Murray - “Looking Toward Peoria”
- Elise Paschen - “Two Standards”
- Eugene Redmond - “Dreamer of Kings”
- Luis Rodriguez - “Mother by the Lake”
- Kevin Stein - “Sufficiency of the Actual”
- Michael Van Walleghen - “Happiness”
- Martha Vertreace-Doody - “Walking under Night Sky”
- Christian Wiman - “Hard Night”
- Demetrice Worley - “Coming to Know Things”
For an audio introduction, description and acknowledgements, please visit Bread & Steel Audio Intro.
Thank you for your support of the word. In an age that seemingly conspires against it, you help to keep language alive for young and old alike.
Illinois Poet Laureate