Main and University Intersection
The University and Main intersection is open. Continue to use caution when traveling through the area as enhancements will continue until all project elements are complete.
Beginning Wednesday, July 2, University Street at Bradley Avenue will have partial lane closures due to the installation of the lighted crosswalk. Weather permitting, the lane closure and construction will last approximately four weeks.
Beginning Wednesday, June 18, Main Street from Bourland Avenue to Glenwood Avenue will have partial lane closures due to the installation of the lighted crosswalk. Weather permitting, the lane closure and construction will last approximately four weeks.
We thank the city for this new gateway to the Hilltop. The changes are designed to make the area safer and more pedestrian friendly. Continue to watch for delays as drivers get used to the lane reductions and new traffic patterns. Alternate routes are still available.
Alternate Route for Campus Visitors
- Take Exit 91 North from Interstate 74 to University Street.
- Turn left (west) on Nebraska Ave. at traffic lights.
- Proceed west one-half mile to Park Road.
- Turn left (south) on Park Road.
- Proceed one-half mile to Farmington Road.
- Turn left (east) and follow Farmington Road one-quarter mile to Main St.
For access to the Main St. Parking Deck:
- Turn left (east) on Main St. and proceed one block to A.J. Robertson Court/Maplewood Ave.
- Turn right (south) on A.J. Robertson Court/Maplewood Ave. to entrance of parking deck.
For access to the Visitors Parking Lot:
- Turn right (south) on Main St. which becomes Western Avenue as the road curves to the left (south).
- Proceed one-half mile on Western Ave. to Bradley Ave.
- Turn left (east) on Bradley Ave.
- Proceed one-half mile to Elmwood Ave.
- Turn left (north) on Elmwood Ave.
- Proceed one block to St. James Street.
- Turn right (east) on St. James Street to entrance of Visitors Parking Lot.
Additional Routes for Faculty, Staff and Students
Repaving work on campus streets and driveways will begin on Monday, May 19, and will continue through June 13. Northbound Elmwood from Bradley Avenue to St. James, the Swords Hall driveway, Duryea Street from St. James north to the parking lot, and the service drive between Williams and University halls will be affected. Expect parking/traffic interruptions in those areas.
Parking will be restricted in the Harper / Geisert lot starting end of day today (May 21, 2014). Machinery, including a large milling machine, will be located there as part of the campus road construction project.
In addition you will notice orange markings where milling will take place along the northbound lane of Elmwood St. next to Heitz Hall. Drivers will need to park elsewhere to avoid damage from dust, rocks and chips that may become airborne during the project.
Parking decks and other surface lots are all OPEN.
On Friday, May 23rd, Columbia Terrace at University Street will be closed to through traffic as follows:
- Eastbound Columbia Terrace will be closed from approximately 8 AM to 12 noon.
- Westbound Columbia Terrace will be closed from approximately 12 noon to 4 PM.
Duryea Street in front of Williams Hall, the parking deck, and the Garrett Center will be closed intermittently the week of June 2nd as some high crane roof work takes place. All other intersections and roads will be open for access to the campus.
Check this page regularly for updates.