Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I study?

See the Bradley "affiliated programs for study abroad" list. The range of programs on five continents and in numerous countries is extensive.

What if I'm interested in a program not on the list? If a study program that is not on our affiliates list seems to best meet your needs, you may attend it and transfer academic credit to Bradley (assuming that the program is accredited and approved by the Study Abroad Office). However, Bradley financial assistance cannot be used to attend non-affiliated programs, and other limiting factors apply. Therefore, we direct you first to examine our wide array of affiliate programs, then come talk to us in the Study Abroad Office. 

How much does it cost?

At an affiliated program for study abroad, you pay Bradley tuition, and your Bradley financial assistance package will apply just as it does on campus. That commitment by Bradley means that you can afford to study abroad.

Are there additional costs? Costs such as room and board and other program fees are paid directly to the host institution or provider and are generally prepaid. Transportation charges, onsite expenses during semester or term breaks, out-of-pocket costs, optional travel and other expenses are the individual responsibility of the student. To ensure that your budget and decision-making process is well-informed, at the beginning of the application process, the Study Abroad Office will provide each applicant with a list of known and estimated expenses for the program to which the student applies. 

Can I take courses in my major?

Yes. Students in any major can study abroad. Our broad range of affiliated programs accommodates students in every college and major. The Study Abroad Office can direct you to programs that are most likely to fit your specific curricular needs (and we might surprise you with a few courses you hadn’t expected!). You can also work with your academic advisor to see what programs or classes they might recommend. We repeat: students in any major can study abroad, and it's especially easy for us to show you how if you visit us early in your academic career. Come see us! 

Am I required to be proficient in a language other than English?

Not at all. The range of English-language study abroad programs in non-English-speaking countries has increased significantly in the last decade. In cities such as Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Prague, Rome, Florence, Budapest, Stockholm and more, Bradley students can take courses in international business, marketing, finance, pre-law and criminology, psychology, teacher education, international studies, political science, sustainability, art, music, sociology, communication, cultural studies. And those are just a few examples!

Of course, Bradley students can study abroad in English at excellent programs in countries like England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Australia and New Zealand!

When should I go?

Students often study abroad for a semester or year during their junior year, but many options are available for sophomores and seniors as well. Each student chooses the best time to study abroad based upon a variety of factors; most important is how study abroad fits with his or her academic program on campus.

Will I receive Bradley credit?

Absolutely. Courses taken abroad will be pre-approved as courses that count toward your major and/or minor, or as BCC credit, language credit or elective credit. The pre-approval process means that you know beforehand how courses will transfer into your graduation audit. Students generally earn 15 to 18 credit hours per semester abroad, similar to a semester on campus. Credit hours earned at an affiliated program abroad count as “in residence credit,” while hours earned in any non-affiliated program count as "transfer credit."

Courses taken at a program abroad are recorded on Bradley transcripts as Pass (A, B or C) or Fail (D or F). Note: A course recorded as “Fail” will NOT transfer for Bradley academic credit, but will be recorded on the student's Bradley transcript. The actual letter grade, or equivalent, awarded by the study abroad institution will appear on the transcript in parentheses. These grades are not computed into a student’s cumulative Bradley GPA. In other words, courses taken abroad count as earned academic credit hours but do not influence a student's cumulative GPA. 

Will I graduate on time if I study abroad for a semester?

You will earn as many credits abroad as you would on campus, so there’s no worry! Studying abroad for a semester or year will not delay your graduation, and it will provide you with extraordinary assets for your resume, professional or graduate school application, job get the idea. In fact, study abroad may accelerate your graduation or at least broaden your academic record. Does your major recommend or require an internship? You can always intern during a semester abroad!

I'm a transfer student; can I study abroad?

Yes, indeed. Like first-semester freshmen, transfer students must establish a Bradley GPA before applying for a semester-long study abroad program. While this generally eliminates incoming junior transfers from applying during their first semester on campus, you still have many options.

Transfer students are eligible for spring semester on-campus courses with a spring break travel component (ask your academic adviser about these). You can also register in January, after your Bradley GPA is established, for May interim programs abroad. And, of course, you can apply then for a semester-long program abroad in fall or spring of your senior year. As long as the program you attend is an affiliated program, these hours will count as Bradley “in resident” hours for graduation. So, the answer is yes you can! For strategies, talk to your academic adviser or contact the Study Abroad Office and schedule a visit!

Is there a minimum GPA?

Yes, a minimum 2.50 Bradley GPA is required to apply for study abroad; some programs specify higher GPA minimums (2.75 or 3.0, for example). You must determine a program's minimum GPA requirements before you begin the application process.

One semester or a full year?

Most Bradley students who study abroad go for one semester, but by all means, consider a full academic year overseas. It depends on the student and the course of study, but a general motto of study abroad professionals is that no student returns to the home campus believing they studied abroad too long! 

Whom do I contact?

For more information, email us at