FACULTY Professor Fuller; Associate Professor Getz, Kelley (chair), Oliver, Zaborowski
The primary concern of the program is for the undergraduate student who would elect study in this significant area of human culture and life. A comprehensive and non-sectarian program of studies is provided to meet the special interests and needs of all students. The program is also appropriate for students electing a major in religious studies with the intention of preparing for matriculation for the Master of Arts degree in religious studies (or religion) at another institution.
To major in religious studies a student must:
- complete not less than 24 semester hours in religious studies, including not less than 20 in courses numbered 200 or above; and
- have a grade point average exceeding 2.0 in all religious studies courses numbered 200 or above;
- select a member of the religious studies faculty as an academic advisor in order to plan the choice and sequence of religious studies courses; and
- complete the all-University course requirements and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences course requirements.
Religious studies majors may earn either a B.S. or B.A. degree. Religious studies majors intending to pursue a graduate degree in religious studies, however, are urged to fulfill the B.A. requirements.
To minor in Religious Studies a student must:
- complete not less than 15 semester hours in Religious Studies;
- have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in all Religious Studies courses;
- select a member of the Religious Studies faculty as an academic advisor in order to plan a coherent course of study developed according to the needs and interest of the student.
The Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies also offers a minor in ethics. For more information, see Ethics Minor.