Transfer Admission

Draft Version
This is a DRAFT catalog for review and advising purposes. Items in this catalog draft are subject to change until the catalog for 2024-2025 academic year will be officially published on August 19th, 2024. The statements set forth in this catalog are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as the basis of a contract between a student and this institution. Should changes in a program of study become necessary, those changes will be applied liberally by the institution while the catalog is in draft mode.

Each year, transfer students compose a significant proportion of the new student population at Bradley. The diversity of social and academic backgrounds that transfer students bring adds much to campus life. Accordingly, Bradley actively seeks to enroll transfer students from all areas of the United States and many foreign countries and strives to provide an atmosphere that is both challenging and rewarding. Applications to transfer to Bradley should be completed no less than 30 days in advance of the start of the semester for which one is applying. It is strongly recommended that transfer students apply several months prior to the beginning of the semester.

Official transcripts of all college work attempted are required prior to admission to Bradley. Official transcripts of credit must be requested by the student and received by the Office of Admissions directly from the institution at which the credit was earned. Transfer students having successfully completed 24 or more semester hours at an accredited institution need not supply a copy of their high school transcript unless requested by the Admissions Office. Students having completed less than 24 semester hours must submit a high school transcript. Transfer applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 to be considered for admission.

Additional Information for International Students

Dean’s Recommendation Form

Prior to registering for classes, newly enrolled transfer students are required to submit a Dean’s Recommendation Form to be completed by college/university personnel from the most recent institution of attendance verifying continued good standing in conduct and judicial matters.

Level Of Transfer Credit

Transfer credit shall be accepted on the same level at which the work was offered at the source institution. Junior-senior level credit will not be granted for courses taken at the first year-sophomore level.

Acceptance Of Transfer Credit

Credit from collegiate institutions which are accredited by one of the regional accrediting associations, such as the Higher Learning Commission, will be considered for acceptance at Bradley University. Bradley University also participates in the Illinois Articulation Initiative. Credit may also be accepted in specific professional courses from certain institutions which are not regionally accredited, but whose curricula are accredited by professional accrediting bodies recognized by the Council on Post Secondary Education. Credits from other institutions, including foreign universities, will be evaluated for possible transfer on a case-by-case basis.

Acceptance of transfer credit will be based on compatibility of the transfer work with the nature, content and level of work offered at Bradley. Application of transfer credit to satisfy specific college graduation requirements shall be determined by the dean of the college in which the student is majoring. In the event that a student changes majors while at Bradley, a new evaluation of the transferred credit will be completed by the department. Transfer credit which meets the general education requirements at the source institution may be applied to the general education requirements at Bradley. A maximum of 66 semester hours of credit will be accepted from accredited two-year colleges. Unlimited credit may be accepted from four-year institutions.

Transfer students from colleges and universities offering the baccalaureate degree must successfully complete a minimum of thirty semester hours in residence at Bradley to satisfy degree requirements.

Bradley Core Curriculum Policies for Transfer Students

  • Transfer students who have earned at least two semester hours of approved coursework in an Area of Inquiry are considered to have satisfied completion of one course in the Area of Inquiry. This policy is limited to students who transfer from an institution using the quartile system.
  • Transfer students may use courses taken at their previous institution to meet Bradley Core Curriculum requirements. Case-by-case transfer course articulations will be determined by the chair of the Core Curriculum Committee.
  • Transfer students may use courses taken at their previous institution from the Fine Arts (FA) and Multidisciplinary Integration (MI) Areas of Inquiry to meet one or both of their two additional Bradley Core Curriculum elective courses. Students will be limited to no more than two courses in each Area of Inquiry.
  • Transfer students enrolled in a second baccalaureate program will be automatically granted credit for all Bradley Core Curriculum requirements upon verification that their first baccalaureate was completed at an accredited institution of higher education that requires a minimum of 30 hours of general education.
  • Transfer students who matriculate into Bradley prior to Fall 2018 will be offered the choice of completing the general education requirements as listed in the 2015-2016 Undergraduate Catalog in lieu of the Bradley Core Curriculum, pending approval by their program administration. Students must submit their request to meet the general education requirements by May 2, 2018. This supersedes the policy in this Undergraduate Catalog under All-University Degree Requirements, which states: "Students who maintain continuous enrollment and who complete work toward the baccalaureate degree within five years form the date of entry may graduate under either the catalog in effect at the time of entrance or under the catalog in effect at the time of graduation." [NOTE: This policy will automatically expire June 1, 2018.]

Student Health Form Requirement

For the benefit and protection of each Bradley student and to comply with state law, it is required that a student health form be filed with Health Services prior to the time the student begins at the University. This form is sent to each admitted student. If a form is not received, a copy may be obtained at Health Services in the Markin Center or the Admissions Office in the Visitors Center.

All students are required to have a student health form on file at Health Services before registering. To avoid penalties and delays in registration, return the form and then verify through Health Services that it has been received and is complete.

Academic Dismissal

Students dismissed for academic or non-academic reasons from their last previous institution attended must take courses at another University or community college and be in good standing before applying for admission to Bradley.