Frequently Asked Questions
I will be completing my requirements soon and want to graduate. What do I do?
All students must apply to graduate in order to receive a degree. Applications alert campus officials of your desire to graduate and initiate the process of checking your requirements. Applying to graduate also ensures that you receive notification of commencement activities. Applications are due at the beginning of the semester you wish to graduate. Students can apply to graduate via Webster under the “Other Info,” on MyOnline under the “Degree Application” tab or via a paper application that can be found on the Registrar’s Office website or at the Registrar’s Office located in Swords Hall 11.
I have applied to graduate. How do I know if I am approved or have met all of my requirements?
Any questions regarding requirements or your approval status should be directed to your Program Coordinator. A list of approved graduates is posted on the Registrar’s Office website approximately 3 weeks before commencement.
When are degrees conferred?
Degrees are conferred in May, August, and December of each year. Degrees can only be conferred after all degree requirements are met. Degrees cannot be back dated for any reason. If you have outstanding requirements, your degree cannot be conferred until the next conferral date regardless of when the requirements are completed or when you walked in a ceremony.
When will my degree appear on my transcript?
Degrees post to transcripts approximately 3 weeks after commencement. Graduating students can order their transcript prior to commencement and specify “After Degree is Posted” when ordering to have their transcript sent after the degree is posted to their record. Students receive a complimentary copy of their official transcript with their diploma.
When will I receive my diploma?
Diplomas are mailed to students approximately 6 weeks after Commencement. If you have a grade hold on your record for any reason, your diploma(s) will not be released until the hold is cleared. Holds do not inhibit the conferral of a degree, only the release of official documents (i.e. diplomas, transcripts).
How are diplomas sent?
Diplomas are sent first class mail in stay flat cardboard mailers. Diplomas are mailed to the diploma address supplied by the student when they apply to graduate. If you need to change your diploma address prior to commencement, you can change it through your Webster or MyOnline account. If you need to change your diploma address after commencement, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (309) 677-3098 or email@example.com.
What size are diplomas?
Diplomas are standard letter size, 8 ½” X 11”, and landscape oriented.
What should I do if I have not received my diploma after several weeks?
There are several reasons your diploma may not have been received:
- You have a Grade Hold on your student record that restricted your diploma from being mailed. You can check for Holds on your record by logging onto your Webster or MyOnline account or contacting the Registrar’s Office at 309-677-3101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your diploma address is incorrect/insufficient. You can verify your diploma address in Webster or MyOnline or by contacting the Registrar’s Office at (309) 677-3098 or email@example.com.
- You walked in the ceremony or were approved to walk in but have yet to complete one or more degree requirements. You can check your Program of Study for outstanding degree requirements or contact your Program Coordinator.
- Your diploma is being sent to an international address. If your diploma is being delivered to an international address, it will likely take longer to be delivered. We ask that you wait 8 weeks from the date that your diploma was mailed if your diploma was being sent to an international address. If you would like to arrange for your diploma mailer to be sent via an expedited delivery service (e.g. FedEx, DHL), you may do so in advance by contacting the Registrar’s Office at (309) 677-3098 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Be advised that you will be charged an additional shipping fee per the expedited delivery service.
- Your diploma was mailed to the correct, domestic address but has not been received yet. In this case we ask that you wait 6 weeks from the date that the diplomas were mailed. In the past, we have found that diplomas take longer to be delivered. Please check with your local post office to see if they have held your diploma mailer for any reason. If the post office is unable to locate your diploma mailer, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (309) 677-3098 or email@example.com.
What should I do if my diploma was received damaged?
If you received your diploma and it was damaged in the mail, please return the damaged diploma to the Registrar’s Office in a standard mailing envelope using the return address listed on the diploma mailer. Please contact the Registrar’s Office at (309) 677-3098 or firstname.lastname@example.org to explain the situation and request a new copy.
What information is listed on my diploma?
Your diploma name, degree earned, and degree date are all listed on your diploma. Program designations and Concentrations (if applicable) are not listed on the diploma, but are listed in detail on your official transcript. For board certification purposes, Counseling program designations are listed on diplomas. Additionally, a limited number of programs with specific degree requirements list the academic discipline as part of the degree name (i.e. Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE)), but that is the actual degree name. A list of approved degree titles can be found in the Graduate Catalog under Fields of Study.
Fall 2021 Graduation Deadlines
|September 17, 2021||Deadline for graduate graduation applications to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Applications are available on Webster or MyOnline|
|November 20, 2021||Posted list of approved candidates for graduation available.|
|December 18, 2021||Commencement|
|Mid-January 2022||Degrees official posted to student records and transcripts.|
|Late January 2022||Diplomas mailed to student supplied mailing address via first-class mail.|
Spring 2022 Graduation
|February 11, 2022||Deadline for graduate graduation applications to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Applications are available on Webster or MyOnline.|
|April 23, 2022||Posted list of approved candidates for graduation available.|
|May 14, 2022||Commencement|
|Mid-June 2022||Degrees official posted to student records and transcripts.|
|Late June 2022||Diplomas mailed to student supplied mailing address via first-class mail.|
Graduate students may apply online via Webster or MyOnline. Online applications are accepted through the end of the third full week of the semester. After that, Webster/MyOnline will not allow you to apply online for the current graduation date, and you must turn in a paper paper graduation application or paper certificate completion application to the Registrar’s Office, Swords Hall Room 11.Posted List Of Approved Graduation Candidates