Prestigious Awards Presented to Faculty and Staff
October 2, 2020
For Bradley's annual Founder's Day, faculty and staff were virtually recognized for their dedication to the university with some prestigious awards. To watch the video announcement, released on Oct. 2 at 10 a.m., click here. Continue below if you wish to briefly read about each of the award winners.
Caterpillar Faculty Achievement Awards for Teaching and Scholarship nominees must hold a full-time, tenure-track faculty appointment, but they must not yet have attained tenure status.
- Teaching - Dr. Jacob Young (not pictured), Assistant Professor of Management Information Systems.
- Scholarship - Dr. John Marino (pictured far right), Assistant Professor of Biology.
The Samuel Rothberg Professional Excellence Award recognizes outstanding achievements in research and creativity by a senior faculty member. Recipients are expected to make original contributions to their field and submit these contributions for critical appraisal by their professional peers.
- Dr. Jackie Hogan (pictured right-center), Professor of Sociology and Anthropology.
The recognition of excellence in teaching became a tradition at Bradley in 1957 when Charles M. Putnam established the Putnam Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Dr. Seth Katz (pictured far left), Associate Professor of English.
One of the highest honors we bestow on a member of the faculty is the rank of Distinguished Professor, a rare designation awarded for outstanding qualifications.
- Dr. Robert Fuller (pictured center), Professor of Religious Studies.
Dr. Francis C. Mergen, chair of the Department of Industrial Engineering until his untimely death in 1972, shared Lydia Moss Bradley’s value of public service. The Central Illinois Bradley Alumni Chapter established the Francis C. Mergen Award for Public Service in 1973 in Dr. Mergen's honor. Each year, one person from Bradley’s faculty or staff receives this award to recognize the significance of their contribution to the world around them.
- Dr. David Vroman (pictured left-center), Chair of the Music Department, Professor of Horn and Director of Bands.